Family boating trips can vary in length; from a day trip playing around with some new tubes or wakeboards, to a weekend trip just to get away for a few days. Even the shortest trips can tire parents. Handling the proper percussions and making sure the kids are entertained and staying out of trouble is quite the job. The best advice to all parents who love boating with the entire family would be to distribute some of the responsibilities to the kids. It will keep them busy and entertained. Make anything a game and the kids will have no problem joining in! Here are a few tasks that will make the trip fun for all!
- Usually docking the boat is a team effort so having them involved will keep them focused.
- Cleaning is a part of the boating experience. Making sure they clean as they go will help them in other aspects of life as well.
- Tying knots is a great skill set that every child (including the adults) should know.
- Teaching the kids how to drive the boat is great for keeping them entertained but in cases of emergency, having them learn how to drive is a great safety precaution.
- Setting the Waypoints on the GPS is smart for everyone to know! They may even be able to teach you a few things about electronics!
- Set the Anchor, anything from dropping it to cleating it off and pulling it back up.
- Keeping a watchful eye out for buoys, rafts, riders, etc. will keep the kids occupied.
- An organized and tidy boat is a happy boat! Clean up toys from skis to snorkels, etc.
- If you need help turning on lights radar, etc. have them help with flipping switches.
Some of these tasks may seem extremely simple, but just by having them help with the over boating experience they will have a feeling of accomplishment! And that is something worth working for.