When trailering your boat to the dock, it’s important to do a few practice runs before hitting the main road. It’s just like learning to drive for the first time, only this time you have a massive boat trailered to your vehicle. No one wants to arrive at the dock and not know a thing about backing it in into the water! Try taking it to an empty parking lot, and try to practice a few basic maneuvers. If there is ever an issue at the dock, other boaters will more likely jump in the assist you.
Here is a list (in order) of how to hook up your trailer for a successful trip.
- Back your vehicle up to the trailer to match up with the hitch.
- Lower your trailer onto the hitch.
- Lower tongue latch and insert lock or pin.
- Connect wire harness.
- Attach chains to the receiver.
- Turn on lights and check all bulbs for operation.
Keep in mind that you want to make sure that your vehicle is suitable to tow a boat. Does it have enough power to do the job properly. Make sure you do your research so purchasing will be an easy transaction.